St. John’s Baptist Church History
In the year 1878, a hundred and thirty-nine years ago, a determined group of Black
men and women gathered in unity and deemed the necessity to assemble in a
common place to give thanks, praise and worship to our Lord and Savior.
St. John’s Baptist Church was organized as a mission and recognized in 1878.
Services were held in an old blacksmith’s shop located at the corner of Wahsatch and
Cimarron Streets. In 1887, ten years later, St. John’s was then incorporated, and a
seal was procured.
The church and a parsonage were erected at 227 Pueblo Avenue with rocks brought
on the back of wagons and by hand to set the foundation. So determined were they
that under the direction of Reverend Clifford Gladden, the dream through hard work
and faith in God, became a living reality. The construction lasted through the year of
1907. A coal stove and then modern gaslights were symbols of success.
As people moved west, the church membership increased and so did segregation. St.
John’s Baptist Church became the home of Black worshippers. In an effort to bury their
dead, members t purchased thirty-five lots in the Evergreen cemetery.
Seven pastors later, a tragedy came upon them when one Sunday night in August
1952, at the close of service the church was partially destroyed by fire. Services were
temporarily held in the Colorado Community Center. Eleven more pastors accepted the
calling to lead the flock of St. John’s Baptist Church; with lengths of pastoral service
ranging from three weeks to forty- seven years. St. John’s remained at the Pueblo
Avenue location until moving to its present location.
Reverend Milton E. Proby became the pastor of St. John’s Baptist Church in 1958.
Within the next two years, after a careful study for a new location, this property at
Prospect and Fountain was purchased. In September 1969, the doors opened for
services at 902 South Prospect Street and since that time, many people and ministries
have passed through this church.
Since then, St. John’s Baptist Church has been active with the Colorado Baptist
Southern District Association, the Western States Baptist Convention, and National
Baptist Convention USA Incorporated. Also, under the leadership of Pastor Proby, the
food ministry was established in 2000 with an addition to the building.
On May 21, 2005, the Lord called our beloved Pastor, Reverend M. E. Proby home
after serving here for forty-seven years. During the years since his passing, the Lord
continues to bless us in many ways. In October 2014, the congregation led under the
pastoral leadership of Reverend Calvin Johnson burned the Mortgage on the building
at 902 South Prospect Street.
As the members of St. John’s continue to “faith” forward in steadfast prayer, we are
forever grateful and thankful that the LORD has kept St. John’s Baptist Church for 139
years in His service. We welcome our new pastor, Reverend Arthur Landfair, Jr. and
his family as we move forward into a new chaptered do so with an expected hope that
God if faithful and will keep us in His perfect peace as we build new relationships and
grow together united in Christ Jesus. We also note another first for St. John’s as two
women ministers actively serve under the leadership of our new pastor. They are both
daughters in this ministry and have established roots at St. John’s as well as the
St. John’s Baptist Church
“Moving forward in Christ Jesus through
Deliverance, Prayer, Faith, Love and Hope.”
“To raise up a generation of true believers
who have a committed Pray life,
who are walking in love, victory, power?
and the anointing of the Holy Spirit,
believers who are experiencing a deep intimacy
with God and impacting the lives with those
they come in contact with.”
Copyright © 2022 St. John's Baptist Church - All Rights Reserved.